by Kin Lane on 03 Jan, 2012
To kick-off my role as API Evangelist at CityGrid, I took a quick walk through the world of location and places API.The CityGrid API centers around places API which provides rich local business data via a RESTful API. So getting familiar with other location and places API is critical to my role. While going through each of these APIs in the space I flushed out what I'd consider the high levels areas that these APIs offer. This list is a work in progress, with a goal in helping see the industry, and potentially identify where players are leading the industry, and where there are gaps. Of course it all starts with places information. Rich content about businesses and other geographic points of interest. CityGrid, Google, Yahoo, Bing and other players like Foursquare, SimpleGeo, InfoChimps and Factual all bring places data to the table. CityGrid and Foursquare also bring merchant APIs to the game, allowing businesses to manage their profile data as well as how it gets syndicated across many networks. Along with places data there are various geo related services that are offered across these APIs:
- Push Notifications
Tags: Check-In, CityGrid, Directions, Distance, Editorials, Elevation, Facebook, Factual, Foursquare, Geocoding, Geofencing, Google, Images, Menus, Neighborhood, Offers, Push Notifications, Reviews, SimpleGeo, Videos, Weather
Network of Sites
Latest Blog Posts
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- A Civic Hacker Corp
- Hacking Your Automobile Dashboard
- A Lifetime of Experience with 'Government Workers'
- Reminder of Why Data Portability Should Be Default: Bye Bye Posterous
- An Author Walk-Through of a Story in Audio
- Who Are The Customers For Your Startup?
- Your Glasses Are Prime Real Estate for a Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Personal Legal Storage Locker for TOS and NDA
- Add Or Update Your #ReclaimOpen Profile At The Github Site