I’m working through the 2012 year, trying to quantify what I did over the year. It’s not as easy as it sounds. One area I’m having trouble quantifying is how much programming I do.
Programming is an essential variable in my happiness algorithm. If I’m not programming a certain amount each week on projects, I can get very grumpy. ;(
There is an easy way to track how many projects or side projects I’m working on, and how much programming time each of these projects get--using Github. The problem is I still don’t use Github 100% of the time. I still code many side projects in the doldrums of my Amazon EC2 server(s).
So in 2013, I am going to make Github repositories default for all side projects. Each project will start off as a repository, then I will enhance using:
- Github Pages - Running a static site framework on Github, with subdomain
- Jekyll - Pages and blogs for each project running using Github Pages
- Disqus - Open up casual commenting on each project
Every project will be open source by default and allow for interaction and collaboration at two levels using Disqus or Github.
Anyone can easily leave a comment with Disqus or fork the project and commit at a deeper level.
All of my projects will be open by default, and can easily be linked off any of my main websites and blogs.
Additionally I will be able to track the number of side projects I work on, how active each one is, and how much code I commit any given day, week, month or throughout the year.
While I can’t easily quantity how much time I programmed in 2012, in 2013 I will have the data necessary, with just a simple shift in how I manage myself.
comments powered by Disqus
- Google Severely Underestimated the Reader Audience
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- Reminder Of Why Data Portability Should Be Default Bye Bye Posterous
- Hacking Your Automobile Dashboard
- A Lifetime of Experience with 'Government Workers'
- A Civic Hacker Corp
- An Author Walk-Through of a Story in Audio
- Who Are The Customers For Your Startup?
- Your Glasses Are Prime Real Estate for a Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Personal Legal Storage Locker for TOS and NDA
- Add Or Update Your
- Usually When Developers Are Mean, It Is About Power
- Migrating My Automation Services Beyond Free
- Embeddable OpenSpending Visualizations
- Continuing the Migration of Projects Over To Github
- I Have An Idea, Lets Launch an Analytics Platform
- The API Pipes, From Resource to Last Mile
- Who Runs The Internet?
- Chicago Using Github Has Potential For More Citizen Participation in Government
- Evernote, OAuth and Zapier
- Method to the Madness
- The Guardian Is Brilliant in Supporting Relevant Events with Open Data
- 2013 Is Year The Infographic Comes Out of Closet
- Connecting My Platforms Into One Stack Overflow Resume
- Evolution of My Technology Platform Over Last 24 Years